Early Acts of Appeasement
Failure of the League of Nations:
- USA did not join
- Germany joined in 1926 but pulled out in 1933 because because of Hitler coming into power
- The League of Nations lacked enforcement, they could only control economic sanctions
- Nationalism was too strong
- 1931 - Japanese Occupation of Manchuria, Japan and China were both part of the League and therefor they should have intervened and stopped this. Japan quit the League so that the League wouldn't intervene, then they successfully invaded northern China in 1933. Mussolini and Hitler took note of this.
- 1935 - Italian Occupation of Abyssinia (Ethiopia), Italy wanted to expand their empire, so they went to Abyssinia and faked an attack on Italians in the country so that they could perform defence and invade. Ethiopia then went to the League to plea for help. They did not respond and Italy invaded.